Morning of 27 th August 2019, a beautiful day, a collection of students, the organisers, smell of flowers, the light of the lamp- occasion – Workshop on ‘Basics in Bioinformatics’by Botany and CS/IT departments of Rizvi College of Arts, Science and Commerce. Bioinformatics is the application of computer technology to the understanding and effective use of biological and clinical data. How genetic mutations can be followed by algorithms and data stored in computers for medical diagnosis of diseases. The Workshop started with a deliverance of research topic by Dr. Rajender Patil, Head of the Department of IT, Somaiya College. The very interesting lecture had the students of B.Sc(IT and CS) enthralled and captivated for several hours.This was followed by a deliverance from professors of Jai Hind college on the Genetics of Human Beings. Dr Devangi Chachad, Botany Department of Jai Hind College. The icing on the cake was a hands-on session on Bioinformatics by Niloufer K. Kotwal Head, Dept. of Life Sciences, Jai Hind College. The professor with the help of Professor Wilson Rao, Head, Department of CS/IT , Jai Hind College led the students through several questions listed below: Using the website for National Center for Biotechnology Information she led the students curiosity on genetic evolution through the following websites:
1) PubMed – A journal of Medicene to cover latest publications in Medicene.
2) NCBI (National Center for Biotechnology Information) is a key repository for biological sequences and related data.
3) SwissProt and Prosite a Database of protein domains, families and functional sites.
4) BLAST (Basic Local Alignment Search Tool).
5) CLUSTAL Omega is a general purpose multiple sequence alignment program for DNA or proteins. Given sequences are of small nuclear ribonucleoprotein from human, mouse, frog and plant source and study the tree generated.
6) Protein Secondary Structure Prediction.
7) SOPMA (Self-Optimized Prediction Method with Alignment).View and study different display of protein structure with the help of RasMol software
8) PDB (3D structure)
9) Homology Modelling-SWISS-MODEL is a fully automated protein structure homology-modeling server. The students returned satiated with the immense knowledge imparted over the span of the workshop, fresh with ideas to enhance their own research ideas including environment, genetics and computer science.